We prepare you for your future career from day one on the flight line.
1.TRAIN IN VARIED WEATHER CONDITIONS
- Cadets are exposed to difficult crosswinds, Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) training in Instrument Meteorological Condition (IMC) conditions.
- Training in Ireland offers exposure to difficult Atlantic Sea board weather conditions and a continuously changing weather environment. AFTA exploits the Irish weather to your advantage.
- This exposure to inflight icing conditions and varying weather enhances our cadet’s skills. Instrument flight training is conducted in actual instrument conditions where the students are exposed to a variety of challenges representing real life conditions.
2. OUR LOCATION
Atlantic Flight Training Academy is located adjacent to an international airport . We conduct our flight training operations from Cork International Airport and our satellite bases at Waterford Airport in the southeast and Shannon International Airport in the West of Ireland
- Our company philosophy is to keep all training at one location to maximise training efficiency and standardisation.
- Cork International Airport and its environment are perfect for flight training operations as we have the benefit of training in both controlled and uncontrolled airspace.
- Controlled airspace provides our students with an excellent grounding in flight operations procedures.This allows our trainees to fly under Air Traffic Control with various types of Airline, Cargo, General Aviation and Helicopter traffic.
– Cork Airport is the international gateway to the south of Ireland and Ireland’s second busiest airport. Aer Lingus, Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair are based here. Two runways, full runway lighting, every conceivable radio navigation and instrument approach aids a full range of Air Traffic Control Services. Instrument departures and arrivals are conducted under surveillance by local radar.
– Uncontrolled airspace (AFTA’s flight training area) surrounds the airports control zone and allows us to practice flight training procedures such as Climbing/Descending at our own discretion.
– AFTA’s fleet at Cork Airport are situated on our own Apron within metres of the main Runway (see image) which means that from engine start our aircraft can be airborne within minutes not wasting time having to taxi long distances.
– Both our Flight Operations Centre and our Flight Academy are located adjacent to the airports runways. Both buildings have free Wi-Fi available to students and are fully equipped with state of the art multimedia study aids to provide the student with all the necessary tools needed to successfully complete their training.
3. Ryanair Mentored Programmes
AFTA is one of Ryanair’s official training partners and is endorsed by Ryanair’s Training Department. The AFTA Ryanair Mentored Programme is open to both ab-initio applicants and experienced pilots. On successful completion of pilot training and a final Ryanair assessment, the new pilots will be offered a place on a Ryanair Boeing 737 type rating course.
Below are the advantages of the Ryanair Mentored Programme:
- You receive one on one mentoring from a current Ryanair pilot.
- Train using Ryanair Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- You will be given preference during initial selection.
- Have exclusive access to a fast track recruitment process.
- Be guaranteed a final Ryanair assessment including a HR/technical interview and simulator assessment.
- Have a distinct advantage at the actual interview and assessment stage as you will be taught using Ryanair procedures and will get exposure to Ryanair’s safety culture and operational philosophy from day one of the programme.
Please click here for more information.
4. partnerships with universities
- We have collaborated with our University partners to provide students with the choice to attain a third level qualification in conjunction with pilot training at AFTA.
- Munster Technological University has developed an online Bachelor of Arts Degree in International Business with Aviation for qualified pilots. Airline pilots will receive recognition of the extensive learning involved in becoming a pilot to a commercial level through a process called Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). This equates to years 1 and 2 of a 4 year Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in International Business with Aviation Studies. This programme has been developed in conjunction with AFTA and the aviation industry.
- Dublin City University offers a degree in Aviation Management with Pilot Studies. The first three years of the course provide a general introduction to business analysis, the aviation sector, technical aspects of piloting and industry relevant work experience. For their fourth year students can opt to come and train in AFTA as a full time integrated student.
5. AFTA’s Graduate Personal Development Programme
We have built relationships with airlines worldwide and are extremely proud of our partnerships and success in placing our graduates.
- At AFTA we have a proven record of over 25 years, delivering excellence and experienced instructing preparing thousands of pilots, who now enjoy key positions such as Training Captains, Fleet Captains, Captains and First Officers with some of the world’s leading airlines.
- We have earned a reputation within the industry for training competent, confident, professional pilots. AFTA graduates now fly for airlines including Ryanair, Stobart Air, Aer Lingus, easyJet, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Emirates and Qatar Airways.
Professional Development Programme
When you graduate you will need to have;
- An in-depth aviation business knowledge.
- The know how to succeed at airline selection.
- The professional attitude required of an airline pilot.
AFTA’s Personal Development program (PDP) is designed to help you show your true potential to your airline employer by:
- Helping you prepare and assemble your CV in a format which a prospective airline would expect.
- Coaching you in preparation for your interview, focusing on both technical and non-technical skills.
- Giving you specific simulator training designed to prepare you for an airline simulator assessment.
The PDP is included as part of AFTA’s integrated courses, Modular students can also avail of this add on service upon completion of their MCC.
AFTA does not consider you to have graduated, until we are one of your passengers.
6. Facilities and FLEET
- Students attending AFTA train in a purpose designed academy. The facility is fully equipped with state of the art multimedia study aids to provide the student with all the necessary tools needed to successfully complete their training. All integrated students are given iPads which allow easy access to our cloud based training materials.
- We have one of the youngest fleet of aircraft in Europe. Our fleet includes Cessna 172s, Diamond DA42 Twin Stars and Piper PA34 Senecas,. Our simulator fleet consists of a FNPTII Piper Seneca simulator, Diamond DA42 simulator and a Boeing 737 NG simulator. Ensuring our students have access to the best of aircraft and simulation systems for the duration of their training.
- Our onsite aircraft maintenance facility guarantees our fleet is always meticulously maintained, maximizing safety and minimizing training delays.
7. eXPERIENCED DEDICATED INSTRUCTORS
- Our senior instructors are experienced ex airline, private jet and military pilots who are committed to delivering the highest industry standards of instruction.
- They will challenge and encourage you during every step of your commercial pilot training.
- The instructor team are focused on creating a supportive and welcoming learning environment.