cAPTAIN mark J casey
CEO & HEAD OF TRAINING
‘Mark is a highly experienced aviator involved in aviation for over 30 years. Along with being CEO and founder of AFTA, Mark has had an expansive commercial career flying Boeing 727, 737, 757, 767 and Airbus A300 wide body aircraft. Mark is also an experienced Corporate Jet Captain and Boeing 737 Type Rating Instructor’.
- In Captain Casey’s role as CEO he is responsible for overseeing the management of all aspects of flight training, including safety, quality and compliance.
- As Head of Training he also ensures training policies and processes are acceptable, meet regulatory requirements and are adhered to.
- Mark is a European Aviation Safety Agency |(EASA) certified Senior Flight Examiner.
CAPTAIN Gerry Humphreys
Deputy Head of Training
‘Gerry has over 40 years experience in aviation. After Gerry completed his degree in Aeronautical Engineering he became a fast jet pilot in the Royal Air Force (RAF) and a commercial pilot’.
- As Deputy Head of Training, Captain Humphreys is responsible for maintaining high standards in all aspects of training at the school.
- Gerry is also our chief flight instructor for aerobatic ratings, tail-wheel conversions and upset prevention recovery training (UPRT).
- Gerry is an EASA certified Flight Examiner.
Captain KYLE JOHNSTON
TRAINING & COMPLIANCE MANAGER
‘ Kyle’s aviation career spans 20 years. At Queens University Kyle studied Aeronautical Engineering and was a member of the Air Squadron before commencing his career as a commercial pilot flying in Europe and across the Atlantic‘.
- Captain Johnston oversees AFTA’s training and compliance obligations, ensuring the regulatory side of the operation meet the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) requirements.
- As Chief Theoretical Knowledge Instructor he manages the delivery of theory during the Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) phase of training .
- Kyle is also a Boeing 737 simulator Instructor.
captain Philip Smythe
‘Philip has a life long interest in aviation a former commercial and corporate pilot, Philip has been a flight instructor for over 30 years’.
- Captain Smythe has been with AFTA since its inception in 1995, training pilots at all levels from Private Pilots Licence (PPL) to Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL) and Multi-Engine Instrument Rating qualifications.
- As Safety Manager, Philip conducts internal safety audits and promotes, maintains and oversees flight safety and best practices on a daily basis.
- Philip is an Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) certified Flight Examiner.
CAPTAIN DANIEL LYNCH
CHIEF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (CFI)
‘Daniel has been involved in aviation for 20 years . He is a former corporate Jet pilot, with over 14 years advanced instructional experience in theory and flight training at AFTA‘.
- CFI Captain Lynch ensures the highest standards of advanced flight training are delivered in accordance with EASA guidelines.
- Along with monitoring and managing students progress he ensures students excel in both the technical and non-technical aspects of being a professional pilot.
- Daniel is an Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) certified Flight Examiner.